Cold and flu season, that is! That’s right I got hit hard last night with a nasty bug. I got everything from a sore throat to body aches. I’m taking a sick day today and in the meantime I’m doing everything I can to get better.
I believe in conventional medicine and antibiotics but I do my best to use them as a last resort. When I get sick I have a few tricks up my sleeve to get back to normal quickly and naturally. I thought I would take this opportunity to share of my tips and tricks with you.
- REST and SLEEP. This is number one on the list for a great reason. In my experience the best way to come back from sickness is to rest as much as possible and get lots of extra sleep. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to workout if you have a fever or body aches. Take a day off and rest up so you can make up for lost time the next day.
2. Ask for help. Don’t be afraid to call on friends and family to pick up the slack so you can rest up. This is one thing I’m not great at. We are completely out of food and if I want to feed my kids I must get some groceries. I was gearing up to go grocery shopping when my husband demanded I lay down and rest. He offered to do the shopping for me. I tend to feel guilty about asking people to do things I’m perfectly capable of doing. I really didn’t want to let my husband take time from studying to do something I would normally do. I had to make the choice to allow him to help me. I made a very detailed shopping list, putting the items in order according to the isles at the grocery store, so Kelly could get the shopping done as quickly as possible.
3. I mentioned yesterday that I’ve been drinking herbal tea with honey. I also like hot water with lemon and honey. These things are soothing and help alleviate some of the pain that comes with a sore throat.
4. Essential Oils. I have the Doterra Family Physician Kit and I’ve been using some of the oils to help with some of my symptoms. The peppermint and lavender oils help with headaches and I’ve also been gargling Melaluca and On-Guard to help cure my throat.
5. Mindless Entertainment. When I can’t do anything but lay on the couch I need some good entertainment to keep my mind off the fever and chills. Blog reading on a laptop is a great way to entertain yourself. This morning I’ve been catching up with The Real Housewives of NYC. This show is perfect because I can fall asleep while watching and I won’t be upset that I missed something important because it’s all trash anyway!
What are some tricks you use when your feeling under the weather?